» Middle School
Ocean View College has a well-established Middle School focus for students in Years 6-9. Students spend a considerable amount of time with their Care Group teachers for a number of subjects as they transition to more independent learning. Based on the Australian Curriculum, teachers organise rigorous, relevant and engaging learning to address the individual learning needs of their students. We have high expectations and encourage our learners to take full opportunities/advantage of the programs we offer. We acknowledge and celebrate student success across the Middle School.
Years 6 and 7
In years 6 and 7 at Ocean View College we believe it is imperative that teaching and learning should be worthwhile, engaging and challenging for all students. Our year 6/7 team caters for the diversity of individual learning needs by offering curriculum flexibility and allowing students and families to be actively involved in the planning process.
- Differentiated literacy and numeracy blocks, streamed to meet ability levels for 2.5 hours each morning.
- Specialist subjects on a rotational basis including: Home Economics, Technical Studies, Dramatic and Visual Arts and Physical Education.
- Japanese is undertaken by all students at Ocean View College.
- Participation in Aquatics activities including: surfing, canoeing, sailing and snorkeling.
- Opportunities to undertake extra-curricular activities in Instrumental Music, Choir, and Students Working Actively Together (SWAT – leadership program).
- An opportunity to participate in interschool sports such as: Netball, Cricket, Tennis, Basketball, Soccer, Football and Lawn Bowls.
Years 8 and 9
Teaching and learning in Years 8 and 9 is worthwhile, engaging and challenging for all students and it caters for the diversity of individual learning needs that creates a learning environment with perceived social worth to our students. Often student alienation and disengagement is a contributing factor to underachievement to many students in the middle years. Therefore at Ocean View College we supply a relevant and challenging curriculum, which is highly functional and paramount within their evolving view of society.
- Encompassing the Australian Curriculum we offer a wide range of curriculum including: English A, Mathematics, Humanities Science, Language B, Visual Arts, Dramatic Arts, Physical Education, Sailing, Music, Japanese, Woodwork, Metal Work, Food and Nutrition and a number of ICT courses.
- Japanese is compulsory in the first semester and a choice is offered in the second semester.
- Opportunities to undertake extra-curricular activities in Instrumental Music, Choir, Clowning, Knock-Out Sport and Leadership in the Middle School (LIMS – leadership program).
- Sailing Program at year 9.
- An opportunity to participate in specialist year 9 days including: Healthy Lifestyle and Activities, Beach Carnival, Values Day, Sports Carnival and Girls Learn to Surf.
- Pastoral Care programs with a focus on Social Learning, College Values and Career Guidance through an introduction to the Personal Learning Plan and Personal Project at year 9.